I often wonder:
Is there a way to accurately determine the weight of our hair without having to go to the extreme measure of chopping it all off and placing it on a scale?
It interests me to find out because all the scalp scans I’ve done show that while the average person has one to three hairs in a hair follicle unit, I’ve got an average of three to five. No wonder I always have headaches from the additional weight; you probably can cook an egg if you placed it on my scalp. 😂
I’m not lamenting that having thick and coarse hair is a disadvantage, but there really are inconveniences in my daily life brought about by my poofy hair.
Here are some:
- I've broken combs while trying to comb my hair
- I've broken my hair ties many times. They just suddenly snap from the resistance of my hair.
- My head is in a constant heat trap, like a microwave oven on high
- Having too much hair to carry around at all times gives me headaches and neck pain.
- Humid regions and a humid climate are my worst enemies. I live in Singapore. 😩
- I need to wash my hair daily or run the risk of smelling like a dumping ground.
- Cutting it short makes things worse coz without the length to pull it down, my head looks like a dehydrated shiitake mushroom.
- It took me years of experimentation and plenty of burnt hair to finally learn how to curl my hair with a curling iron. Curling the entire head takes at least an hour. I hone my arm muscles from this activity.
Still, I am grateful to my dad and mum for passing on the thick-hair gene to me coz I never have to worry about volume. I was born with a head full of hair, rare for an infant. It probably shocked the bejeezus out of my mama hahaha but it’s not surprising coz thick hair runs in the family.
If Mr Mode and I have kids, I think they will have thick hair too.
I used to complain to my parents about how thick and coarse and unmanageable my hair was until people started admiring and complimenting my hair. Wow, what troubles me is something that people actually yearn for?? 😲
Gradually, I got used to it and to the fact that no matter what I do, my big poofy hair will always be dry and frizzy and I can’t do anything about it.
It was only recently after a trip to Beijing 101 Hair Consultants that I understood the real reason behind the association of dryness and frizziness with thick hair, and there actually are solutions to combat that. Seeing that I have a whole head of hair, Beijing 101 should be the last place I'd visit. But after an afternoon there, I realized that Beijing 101 provides a myriad of solutions, from health to hair, and I'm glad I got a chance to experience some of those.
The walls are adorned with pictures of customers who experienced visible hair growth after treatment. No wonder there was a constant stream of customers when I was there.
I'll show you in a while pictures of my scalp before the treatment. The red spots indicate a lack of quality sleep from bad sleeping habits.
Why Is Thick Hair Often Dry And Frizzy?
Mousses, gels, and hairsprays, and tons of chemicals routinely go onto our scalp, leaving behind sticky build-up. You might think you’re off the hook if you only use shampoo and conditioner like I do, but even these products designed to clean our hair can leave residue on the scalp. Residue build-up causes clogged hair follicles, which prevent nutrient absorption and increases the likelihood of bacterial growth on the scalp. All these in turn lead to dull and unmanageable hair.
After the scalp analysis, the first thing I did was a Pre-Shampoo Scalp Purification to relieve the scalp of excess dirt and residue. Then came the Deep Cleansing Scalp Mask, to thoroughly bust through the gunk and oils that have accumulated over time.
My Customized Beijing 101 Sequence of Treatments:
- Deep Cleansing & Collagen Scalp Treatment
- Beijing 101 Signature Meridian Herbal Treatment
- Hair Nourishing Treatment
The Signature Meridian Herbal Treatment promotes hair growth, prevents hair loss and greying. More importantly for me, it relieves fatigue and improves sleep quality.
Sorry, these were the only pictures taken during the entire treatment. Lol. Everything was so calming and relaxing I was asleep 90% of the time, waking up only to take the three steps to the wash basin for rinse-off in the VIP room.
The head, shoulder, back massage was DA BOMB. As mentioned, I have sleep issues which are evident from the red patches on my scalp. Massaging the scalp will help to improve blood circulation and promote better quality sleep. If you ever make a trip to Beijing 101 @ Tiong Bahru Plaza, look for Jessica! She did such a great job with the blowing and braiding. 😍
Besides hair treatments, Beijing 101 also provides TCM services. Got my pulse checked, and as usual, low blood pressure. She said that it's a good thing I exercise regularly, for it makes me physically fitter and stronger. It's true. Before I took up Muay Thai and joined a gym, I got sick easily and was physically weaker.
Recommended Foods to Reduce Heatiness:
- Red dates + goji berries (boil together)
- Chrysanthemum drink
- Red bean soup
- Watercress soup
- Old cucumber soup
Thanks to Grace for the in-depth scalp analysis and Jessica for the treatments! ^_^*
Start Protecting Your Hair & Scalp From Young
Within 2 hours, my perception of Beijing 101 changed from being a place only for people seeking hair loss solutions to one that provides customized solutions for people who wish to achieve optimal hair and scalp health, as well as improve general health. You can even get your hair dyed with products containing only organic ingredients.
The perks of having thick hair are many, enough to mitigate the little inconveniences, and I definitely want to be able to enjoy them for as long as possible. Prevention is always better than cure, no matter how clichéd! The road to a gorgeous, healthy mane isn't easy, but starting with a scalp that is free of build-up will give you one less problem to stress over.
For a limited time, for just $28, you can get:
- Professional computerised detailed analysis and consultation
- Scalp Purification Mask: To remove clogged sebum from the hair follicles and allow healthy hair growth in the long run
- Beijing 101 Signature Meridian Herbal Treatment (20-minute) that targets the 8 main acupressure points on the scalp, focuses on the body’s healing energy pathways (aka Meridian network) and promote hair growth for a fuller and stronger hair
- Infra-Red Treatment helps to regenerate (new hair growth), detox, and tighten the scalp and hair follicles to prevent ageing scalp
- Complimentary Travel Size Home Care Kit worth $68
Get this deal from FAVE. Visit any of the Beijing 101 outlets for a free scalp analysis to find out what your hair really needs! 😊
Thanks for reading and happy scalp days ahead! ^_^*
This post was written in collaboration with Beijing 101.